Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Better late than never update- Map Dresser

Have you started to think I was abducted by aliens?
Well, actually... these two men I live with are 'different' and they have kept me quite busy the last few weeks!

This always happens around the end of school.. it seems so far away and so 'not a big deal' and then WHAM... there are a bajillion things to do, and no time to do them in.

We started my sons summer vacation with a trip to the beach and a toasty sunburn for both of us, and then started hubbys with a couple days on the boat with better sun block, with a few days at home in between each picking away at these never ending projects.

Yes, progress has been made on the pine floors.

Yes, the yard is looking better.

And yes, I finally received the wallpaper I was waiting for!!!

So, today I dove right in to work on the dresser while the boys were at the barbers getting shorn.

Here's what it looked like when I got it:






I painted it:




I tried to sell it with no luck, and then a few months ago I decided to redo it again for my sons room.

The plan was to add map wallpaper, but the paper I really, really wanted was on back order.  I looked and looked and finally found a Ralph Lauren wallpaper I liked as much, and while it was also on backorder, the website stated it would ship in just a week.  So, I ordered and crossed my fingers... and it finally came in the mail 2 days ago, just as they had promised!

Here it is with the blue/black paint and the wallpaper on the side panels:


The 'theme' of my sons room is 'Oh the Places you'll go'




Here's how I did it:

I made a template of the side panels from newspaper


I traced the template onto the back of the wallpaper, being careful to choose the portion of the pattern I wanted for each panel.

Into the sink the panel goes...

It gets folded and waits a few minutes for the glue to activate....

... and I assemble my tools...



Before


After








I have left the hard part of this dresser for last, the front panels.


They are not simple squares, but have that little cut out in each corner.  You can see it better here:


So that's going to be a little tricky.... hmmmmm



Tomorrow is another day and hopefully I will get to the front panels then... if not the husband and kid are heading to VA to visit the family next week, and I will have time then to do all the little projects I have lined up!


The small middle drawer that is all blue/black here on the front and on each side, I want to paint a gold compass rose on.  Time to look for a stencil or see what Graphics Fairy has!

I've got several other 'pots on the stove', but the updates on those will have to wait for another day.

I've linked up at 2 parties this week: Savvy Southern Style and Miss Mustard Seed check them out for other inspiring projects!


















3 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I love the idea of adding a map - I have a huge school map and am trying to think of the best way to hang it (Maybe attach it to a stretcher frame?) Well done!

Late Bloomers said...

Thanks Patti! My sons room redo was inspired by wondering where he'll go, who he'll be when he's grown up... the theme is 'Oh the places you'll go'.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

This is looking great! love the map wallpaper!!

can't wait ti see it all finished!

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment!

Hugs.
Debbie